Hulaville started in the 1950’s, when retired carnival worker Miles Mahan purchased 2 acres of desert alongside route 66 in Hesperia, CA. Miles started making his “Cactus Garden” with the empty wine bottles he noticed cast aside and left behind. Miles put the empty bottles on nails that were driven into fence post. Hulaville actually got its name by a 9 foot metal hula girl sign that Miles found in the rubble of a demolished restaurant. Hulaville became a California land mark in February 1981 as an example of 20th century folk art. Miles passed away in 1997, since then Hulaville has been dismantled and a few artifacts made its way here and the rest has been put in storage.
In the 1930’s and 1940’s the small desert town of Victorville became a popular stop for recreational travelers on Route 66. Taking advantage tourism trade, John Roy built the Green Spot Motel in 1937. The motel offered the most modern comforts in their 21 rooms, like “running ice water”, private showers or baths, and “electric radiant glass heat”. The motel had its own café that housed a Greyhound Bus Depot and a cocktail lounge. Since the motel was the center of town there was a lot to do within walking distance, the Mesa Theater was next to the motel and there was a bowling ally next to the café. The motel suffered like many businesses on Route 66 when the freeway bypassed the highway. The motel has gone through a few different owners even former movie actress Kay Aldridge. The Green Spot Motel sign now resides in our museum.
The first nickel and slot phonograph machines were invented in 1890. It has gone through many changes since then from turning a crank to start the machine and holding only one musical selection at once to choosing from 50 different records front and back for a grand total of 100 songs. The Seeburg Company was founded by Justus Sjoberg from Sweden. In 1950, Seeburg the first jukebox to play the 45 rpm records that played 100 songs rather than the 78 rpm records that only played a few. The classic M100C is featured during the opening of the “Happy Days” TV series.
These small bikes were manufactured in Glendale, CA form 1946 to about 1965 when parts ran out. Engineer Howard Forrester built a motorcycle in 1941 powered by 19.2 cubic inches water cooled four cylinder engine he built years earlier. The company that he worked for, Gladden Products, designed a commuter motorcycle based on his custom bike. There were many different versions of the Mustang, there was the Pony, the Bronco, the Stallion, the Colt, the Thoroughbred, the DeliverCycle(a three wheeled version) and the Trail Machine.